INSURANCE FRAUD MILWAUKEE AND SHEBOYGAN CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER
In Wisconsin, crimes having to do with theft or property damage such as burglary, fraud, or arson, can include everything from stealing a TV set to burning down a large building.
Many of these charges, and the severity of their corresponding penalties, are determined by the total value of any goods that were stolen, and whether the accused person was armed during the commission of the crime. The experienced Milwaukee burglary defense attorneys at Birdsall Obear & Associates have handled a multitude of cases of all different types of theft and property crimes.
If you’ve been arrested, you need the best criminal lawyers in Milwaukee and Sheboygan. Please contact our Milwaukee criminal lawyers via phone or email for a free consultation so we can help you navigate the broad range of charges pertaining to theft and property crimes.
WHAT IS INSURANCE FRAUD IN WISCONSIN?
Wisconsin statutes 943.395(1) state:
- Whoever, knowing it to be false or fraudulent, does any of the following may be penalized as provided in sub. (2):
- Presents or causes to be presented a false or fraudulent claim, or any proof in support of such claim, to be paid under any contract or certificate of insurance.
- Prepares, makes or subscribes to a false or fraudulent account, certificate, affidavit, proof of loss or other document or writing, with knowledge that the same may be presented or used in support of a claim for payment under a policy of insurance.
- Presents or causes to be presented a false or fraudulent claim or benefit application, or any false or fraudulent proof in support of such a claim or benefit application, or false or fraudulent information which would affect a future claim or benefit application, to be paid under any employee benefit program created by ch. 40.
- Makes any misrepresentation in or with reference to any application for membership or documentary or other proof for the purpose of obtaining membership in or noninsurance benefit from any fraternal subject to chs. 600 to 646, for himself or herself or any other person.
HOW DO YOU PROVE INSURANCE FRAUD?
The State must prove 2 elements:
- That you were presenting a false claim
- That you presented that false claim to obtain money or other considerations
Insurance fraud is a very serious charge in that you are dealing with a very well-funded and highly-motivated plaintiff, an insurance company. It will essentially be two district attorneys prosecuting you for this crime. The insurance company will conduct its own investigation, which will be very thorough, and the police will follow that investigation up in case the insurance company missed anything. These are extremely difficult cases and are very consequential for any future hopes of being insured by a reputable insurance company.
Wisconsin penalties for Insurance Fraud:
9 months in jail – 1 year and 6 months in prison
Contact the best Milwaukee and Sheboygan insurance fraud defense lawyers.
Attorneys John A. Birdsall and Kirk B. Obear are Milwaukee criminal attorneys who have won countless cases over the past decades. Their aggressive defense strategy is unsurpassed and has placed them among the best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Milwaukee.
Insurance fraud crimes many times carry special circumstances that only the Milwaukee criminal lawyers of Birdsall Obear & Associates will know how to confront, confidently and efficiently... and win your case.
Our insurance fraud defense lawyers in Sheboygan and Milwaukee know how to confront and challenge illegal police action, whether it's improper search technique or other violations, if we find that your constitutional rights were violated, your case could be dismissed.
Our lawyers are simply the best insurance fraud crimes defense law firm Wisconsin has to offer. Contact our Milwaukee Criminal Attorneys at Birdsall Obear & Associates.