IDENTITY THEFT DEFENSE ATTORNEYS MILWAUKEE
In recent years, the crime that has seen the most dramatic increase in public attention has been identity theft. The internet is abound with scams phishing for personal information at an alarming rate. The accessibility of personal data via email, abuse of sensitive information, etc., means that more and more individuals are having to contend with identity theft than ever before.
If you are faced with identity theft charges in Wisconsin, it's imperative that you contact a skilled attorney. Birdsall Obear & Associates has the experience and tenacity to represent your identity theft case.
What is identy theft?
Identity theft covers a wide range of crimes and is a severely growing problem world-wide.
In Wisconsin, state statute 943.201 states: "Whoever, for any of the following purposes, intentionally uses, attempts to use, or possesses with intent to use any personal identifying information or personal identification document of an individual, including a deceased individual, without the authorization or consent of the individual and by representing that he or she is the individual, that he or she is acting with the authorization or consent of the individual, or that the information or document belongs to him or her is guilty of a Class H felony."
“Personal identifying information" means any of the following information:
- An individual's name.
- An individual's address.
- An individual's telephone number.
- The unique identifying driver number assigned to the individual by the department of transportation under s. 343.17 (3) (a) 4.
- An individual's social security number.
- An individual's employer or place of employment.
- An identification number assigned to an individual by his or her employer.
- The maiden name of an individual's mother.
- The identifying number of a depository account, as defined in s. 815.18 (2) (e), of an individual.
- An individual's taxpayer identification number.
- An individual's deoxyribonucleic acid profile, as defined in s. 939.74 (2d) (a).
- Any of the following, if it can be used, alone or in conjunction with any access device, to obtain money, goods, services, or any other thing of value or benefit, or if it can be used to initiate a transfer of funds:
- An individual's code or account number.
- An individual's electronic serial number, mobile identification number, personal identification number, or other telecommunications service, equipment, or instrument identifier.
- Any other means of account access.
- An individual's unique biometric data, including fingerprint, voice print, retina or iris image, or any other unique physical representation.
- Any other information or data that is unique to, assigned to, or belongs to an individual and that is intended to be used to access services, funds, or benefits of any kind to which the individual is entitled.
- Any other information that can be associated with a particular individual through one or more identifiers or other information or circumstances.
Types of identity theft
Some of the most commonly accessed information comes from the following sources:
- Credit Unions
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Social Security
Contact the best Milwaukee and Sheboygan identiy theft defense lawyers.
Attorneys John A. Birdsall and Kirk B. Obear are Milwaukee criminal attorneys who have won countless cases over the past decades. Their aggressive defense strategy is unsurpassed and has placed them among the best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Milwaukee.
Identity theft charges many times carry special circumstances that only the Milwaukee criminal lawyers of Birdsall Obear & Associates will know how to confront, confidently and efficiently... and win your case.
Our identity theft defense lawyers in Sheboygan and Milwaukee know how to confront and challenge illegal police action, whether it's improper search technique or other violations, if we find that your constitutional rights were violated, your case could be dismissed.
Our lawyers are simply the best identity theft defense law firm Wisconsin has to offer. Contact our Milwaukee Criminal Attorneys at Birdsall Obear & Associates.